The Department of Agricultural Marketing & Co-operatives (DAMC) is one of the four departments within the Ministry of Agriculture & Forests (MOAF), tasked with, as the name suggests, facilitating agricultural produce marketing and the development of the co-operative sector. It was established in October 2009, and started to operate as a full-fledged department starting March 2010.
Its three functional divisions are Market Development Division, Market Information & Research Division and Cooperative Development Division. The department also has two regional offices called Regional Agricultural Marketing & Co-operative Office (RAMCO) – at Gelephu, catering to the six central Dzongkhags and another at Monggar, catering to the six eastern Dzongkhags.
A vibrant and responsive marketing and cooperative institution, supporting profitable and people-centered marketing of RNR products, for both domestic and international markets contributing to sustainable socio-economic development.
To promote marketing of RNR products through promoting efficient and effective marketing systems, facilitating institutional linkages and strengthening farmer groups and cooperatives.
- Propagating the transformation of the RNR sector from subsistence to market-oriented farming in order to bring improvements in rural economy,
- To support economic and social empowerment through development of farmers groups and cooperatives,
- To improve economic efficiency and viability of RNR production and marketing through organization and development of farmer groups and cooperatives,
- To support sustainable and effective management and production of RNR products through market research, intelligence, information and studies,
- To establish efficient and effective marketing systems to promote domestic and export markets through development of infrastructures.
Functions of the Divisions and Regional Office
Market Information and Research Division (MIRD)
- Establish and strengthen the market information system (MIS) at national and regional level through the use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT),
- Initiate collection and dissemination of information related to markets, prices, infrastructure and promotion within and outside the country,
- Collect, compile, analyze information and prepare regular reports on market trends, prices for timely dissemination through various modes and methods (e.g., website, reports, workshops, media),
- Train and institute field level staff in market information collation, report and publication,
- Timely dissemination of market information to stakeholder through various mass media including G2C,
- Orient farmers to respond to new challenges in marketing of RNR products by using IT as a vehicle of market-led extension,
- Conduct value chain, supply and demand diagnostic study on major marketing problems and major RNR products,
- Assess and evaluate markets and marketing system for RNR products,
- Explore domestic and export market requirements for RNR products and publish reports and findings and share with stakeholders,
- Identify market needs and gaps and share with stakeholders through various means and modes (website, reports, workshops etc.),
- Publication of annual market information reports
Market Development Division (MDD)
- Develop overall polices, strategies and guidelines related to RNR marketing based on information and research findings,
- Develop and sustain domestic and international market for RNR products through the development of strategies and interventions that are conducive to production and marketing,
- Plan, coordinate and implement marketing development activities in collaboration with the technical department,
- Develop market infrastructures (farm shops, collection sheds, etc.),
- Capacity building of farmers, extension, RNR officials and other stakeholders on RNR marketing,
- Facilities access to marketing inputs supplies (labeling and packaging materials, etc.),
- Introduce farmers and entrepreneurs to market-led production and commercial farming, identify agri-business and large-scale opportunities,
- Inter and intra-regional/ Dzongkhag Market Linkage (linking surplus and deficit regions. Dzongkhags/ Institutes),
- Liaise with Global & Regional organization such as WTO, SAFTA, BIMSTEC,
- Facilities Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) & Private Public Partnership (PPP) for RNR products,
- Promote value addition of primary RNR Products by promoting process, packaging, branding, and labeling practices,
- Creation of on-line trading and marketing avenues’ e.g. in collaboration with RSEBL and FCBL.
Co-operative Development Division
- Registration and development of Farmer Groups (FGs) and Co-operatives,
- Facilitation of institutional linkages and communication,
- Liaise with international agencies for development/strengthening of FGs/Cooperatives,
- Promote and strengthen Cooperatives/ FGs through capacity building programmes,
- Facilitation of cooperative funding and access to credit services,
- Regulate and monitor FG/ Cooperatives,
- Any other activities are required by Cooperative (Amendment) Act of Bhutan, 2009.
Regional Agricultural Marketing and Co-operative Office
- Coordination and promote implementation of marketing related activities, including agri-business and rural credit at regional level,
- Linking FGs/ Coops with potential domestic markets (Schools, Institutions, Mega Project etc. and sustain them over time,
- Reinforce linkage between different Dzongkhags, major market outlets and the head office to facilitate the marketing process,
- Collect and communicate market and marketing information needs to the head office and relevant stakeholders,
- Assist in establishing and functioning of the marketing cooperatives/ farmers groups,
- Provide marketing training to potential producers in collaboration with the head office and other stakeholders,
- Conduct regional market studies (price, demand and supply situations) on a quarterly basis and send recommendations to the head office,
- Develop and ensure proper functioning of market infrastructure and establishment of need infrastructure where necessary,
- Provide advice on production planning to both producers and extension on potential farm produce,
- Establish effective marketing information systems at Dzongkhag level in collaboration with line agencies,
- Provide institutional support and advices on marketing of surplus RNR products,
- Assist head office in Monitoring and Evaluation of marketing and co-operative programs, and capacity building of farmers/ FGs and Coops/ private sector on co-operatives and marketing.
370 total views, 3 views today