Disclaimer: The opinions shared in the forum are from individual users and they do not necessarily reflect the opinions of ICS or the ministry.
Strengthening RNR Research System
  • How could the RNR Research be strengthened?

Please provide your views.

Deadline 25 May 2014.

- Taskforce Chairman Dorji Dhradhul
  •  Presently Ministry has assigned a taskforce with members representing all key Depts and agencies to look at the RNR Research System with an over arching goal of strengthening the RNR  research system. The taskforce will carry out this task through various consultations, meetings, visits etc and we believe the inputs from this discussion will also throw some light on this assignement.  
    We expect lively and positive discussions.
    Director DAMC/Chair of TaskForce
  • The main reason for taking the research centers under respective department was to strengthen research-extension linkages however the Ministry did not realize that it would seriously have effect on integrated RNR concept. Ofcourse it did not help strengthening extension. Seems the Ministry did not do proper study but rushed for reforms. Organizational set up and working harmonization, risk analysis etc were not studied. Due to this there came confusion and conflicts in many many fields including both intra and inter agency. I strongly advise the present TF should do thorough study before submitting their report.
    In my view I have 40-60 for reverting and keep going respectively; 40 to reverting because it is not good to look behind but need to keep going. CoRRB as a council can have many additional mandates rather than looking after these research centers. In this decentralized era CoRRB should do away with asking approval for research, forget about nitty gritty rather monitor at higher level at output, outcome level. The RCs are at regional level so let depts handle them. The Ministry rather than thinking about going back should focus on addressing the problems, TF needs to carryout OD based on the existing structure, come up with harmonized working system, build and enhance better coordination between CoRRB and depts, look at depts structure how research centers have been placed. I can see more advantage to the government with the existing system with problems fixed rather than back to square.     
  • Dear Chair,

Many thanks for seeking our views. I also offer my sincere thanks to the ministry for showing concern on the dwindling RNR research system, which I feel, is not late. With a sincere hope that the task force will arrive to unbiased conclusions, I offer my sincere views as given below.

1. If consultations and meetings are conducted without a proper plan, it is likely that a few individuals in the task force will dominate the sessions and the final findings may not be representative of the task force. Therefore, I would suggest that the consultations and meetings be carried out after developing a set of questions agreed by the task force members. 
    2. I feel that, consultations and meetings should also go beyond the confines of MoAF. There are other ministries who also have research systems. It will be an eye opener if those ministries are consulted on the set up and strategies used by them to strengthen the research system. 
    3. Finally, it might add value to the findings if the task force could also seek views of the relevant expatriate workers in the country.  

All the best!

Dr. Kesang Wangchuk
    Forage and Animal Nutrition Research
    RNRRDC Jakar
  • Thank you Farmer and Dr Kesang Wangchuk for participating in this discussion. We appreciate your comments and concerns
    Chair TF/Director DAMC
  • There are both pros and cons.....TF should do thorough brainstorming, debate and analysis. Some of my views;
    Existing System
    pros - 1) is aligned with the present FY planning system of the country, research should be part of every departments, for e.g DoA have obligation to increase production in the country, definitely they need to research on new technologies, assess on adoption etc. Research will contribute to meet the Dept's output, therefore it does not make sense to place research under some other agencies.
    2) It will give opportunity for every departments to focus on their developments through research, can really link research towards production, food security, etc. It will take some time to realize the importance of research and address institutional problems. It is time for every department to take responsibility of increasing technologies to boost agriculture sector.
    3) Provided opportunity to CoRRB to play counseling role, upscale level of their mandate to research on more pressing national RNR issues and conduct dynamic and intellectual studies.

Cons-
    1) Dis-integration between three sectors, if disintegration is allowed who will shoulder regional mandates for other sectors? Respective departments will have to find ways to locate their research components, which have chances to incur additional cost to the government
    2) Need to review insitutional and coordination mechanism between Council, RCs and Departments. A clear system or understanding should be built. Make clear whether RCs will have only respective sectors only or integrated, if integrated should staff remain under respective dept or that particular dept? can refer to local government model in dzongkhags and gewogs.    

Back to square -
    Pros
    1) There is already well established system, so will not have any problem for smooth running
    2) Corrb will go back to its original mandate and no change even after these many years

Cons-
    1) This will never give opportunity to the sector to grow and become dynamic to fulfill our mandates. It will duplicate outputs, dept will not be able to use research facilities for increase production, focus will be diluted and un-harmonized between dept and RCs.
    2) Research-extension linkage will continue to be weaker
    3) Council cannot focus on their main purpose of establishment, rather will be busy on handling RCs which is quite easy and will keep them engaged to justify their existence
    4) Research will be in isolation and their works may not match national priorities, will be difficult to measure outputs if technologies are not adopted by the departments.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Top Posters