Thimphu: A coordination meeting between the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests and Mountain Hazelnuts Venture Private Limited (MHVPL) was convened on October 1 at the Ministry’s conference hall.
The main objective was to discuss the progress, issues and challenges of the company.
Dr. Sean Watson, the Managing Director of MH presented a detailed progress report of the company and highlighted the support provided by the Ministry in achieving the set objectives, particularly in the large scale grafting program initiated by the company to address the pollenizer gap. He also highlighted the issues and challenges that the company is currently facing and the need for the Ministry and MH to work through a collaborative approach to address these issues and challenges.
Other issues that were tabled for discussion were:
- The need to develop a cost-sharing mechanism on irrigation and fencing support
- Carbon credit plans
- Inclusive plan for Brand Bhutan and organic production
- Integration of hazelnut farming with agriculture and livestock farming practices
- MH support for nuts to local entrepreneurs
- Engaging unemployed youth in agri-farming business
- Addressing SRF issues as per the terms and conditions laid out in the memorandum of understanding
The meeting was chaired by the Hon’ble Agriculture Secretary, Dasho Rinzin Dorji. Also present were the heads and chiefs from the Ministry’s departments, agencies and divisions.
Submitted by MHVPL
1,133 total views, 1 views today