23 & 26 December 2016: The National Poultry Research & Development Centre, Sarpang, under the directives of Department of Livestock in collaboration with the RLDC and the Dzongkhag Livestock Sector has awarded farm registration certificates to about 118 poultry farmers under Chukha (67 farms) on 26 December at the City Veterinary Hospital, Phuentsholing and Samtse (51 farms) on 23 December, 2016 at the Samtse Geog Centre.
The main objective of farm registration is to:
- Create a strong database for poultry farms eligible for any supports under government/projects.
- Enable tracking disease outbreaks and plan a better control program.
- Enable to plan input production, imports and supply
- Enable proper planning in production and marketing strategy
- Support in building farmers based institution
Poultry farm registration was initially introduced in year 2012 with registration of farms with bird size above 200 nos. (Semi-commercial farm); a total of 55 poultry farmers from Tsirang and 123 poultry farmers from Sarpang Dzongkhag were awarded certificates in 2012. The farm registration has immensely facilitated poultry farmers in tracking illegal movement of poultry and poultry products from across the border, control of disease outbreaks through good biosecurity measures and further assisted them in availing subsidy support packages from the government.
NPRDC, in close consultation with RLDC and Dzongkhag livestock sector; targets to register at least about 500 commercial and semi-commercial poultry farms in the country by the end of 11th FYP.
1,227 total views, 1 views today